The history of our hotel

4 generations of Family Scherer

Franziska & Siegfried

Helga & Franz

Nadine & Patrick with Emilia & Matteo

In autumn 1954, Franziska and Siegfried Scherer took their first steps into the tourism sector, when they built a shop with twelve guestrooms on top. Back then, the Pension Scherer already counted with around 30 guests at a time during peak season.

In 1958, Siegfried Scherer received the concession for a full board residential. Due to this development, the entire house was enlarged and a total of 45 guests could be catered. The next renovation followed in 1966, providing the pension with 40 guestrooms, 82 beds and cosy dining rooms for around 90 people.

Over night, the boarding house became a guest house ("Gasthof"): Gasthof Pension Römerhof. The origin of the pension's name dates back to 200 B.C., when  the Romans' track directly passed the house.

Several renovations followed until the pension turned into the Hotel Römerhof in 1990. This was also when the hotel was passed on to the oldest of three children, Franz Scherer and his wife Helga. Since then, the Römerhof has been renovated various times so as to offer all guests of the house a comfortable holiday in a relaxing and familiar atmosphere. Currently, the hotel is owned by the second Scherer generation, but the third generation Nadine Enn-Scherer and her husband Patrick Enn, together with their children Emilia and Matteo (already the fourth generation), are now living and working in the traditional family company as well.

On 1st February 2012, the Austrian Chamber of Trade / Salzburg classified the Hotel Römerhof from a 3-star hotel up to a 3-star-superior hotel. So we were the second 3-star-superior hotel in the federal state of Salzburg.

Since the 24th of January 2019 we proudly count to the 4-stars hotels!